Writing A Check
Home > Check Printing Articles > Writing A Check
You are buying a pair of shoes at The Shoe Shop for $77.11. Learn how to correctly write the check by following the following six simple steps.
1. Write today's date on the "Date" line in the upper right hand corner. Include the month, date, and year. You can write out the date as February, 18, 20XX or you can use all numbers as 02/18/20XX.
2. Write the name of the person or company you are paying on the "Pay To The Order Of" line. Be sure to get the spelling correct.
3. To the right of the "Pay To The Order Of" line is the "$" line. Using numbers, write the amount in dollars and cents. Be sure to clearly place the decimal point between the dollar numerals and the cents numerals. For example: $77.11.
4. The "Dollars" line is used to confirm the amount of the check, just in case your handwriting is hard to read on the "$" line. In clear handwriting, write out the amount using words and fractions. Write out the dollar amount. Then add "and" followed by the cents amount written as a fraction. Put the cents in the numerator and 100 in the denominator. For example: Seventy-seven dollars and 11/100. If you have any room left, draw a line to the end of the blank so nobody can add to what you've written.
5. The "Memo" line in the lower left hand corner is a reminder line. You can write "shoes" on this line, for example. If you write several checks to the same place, like a department store, this line helps you identify which check paid for shoes, which check paid for jeans, and which one bought socks and a sweatshirt. Memo lines help you stay organized.
6. The "Signature" line in the lower right hand corner is where you write, not print, your name. Decide how you are going to sign your name and then sign the same way on all of your checks. This is a formal document, so you probably want to sign it William or Deborah rather than Billy or Debi. Your bank will keep your signature on file as a way to verify your signature on checks and other documents.
"Th-th-th-that's all folks!" ~ Porky Pig.
CheckAdvantage.com offers an assortment of manual business checks, laser checks, deposit tickets, and check supplies. To browse our catalog, click here: CheckAdvantage.com. You have absolutely nothing to worry about as we have removed all of your greatest fears with Guarantee.